I'm sure everyones heard of the interview BBC made with our foreign minister Dato Syed Hamid Albar. The interviewer, Sarah Montague, is hilarious. I was amused throughout the whole interview.
Ok so here's this ang mo, talking about the bumiputera status, like she even lived here for a year. She got her facts right, she knew basically what was going on. And its scary to say that i think she got the point more than our dear foreign minister did. Sarah was vicious, and i think she got frustrated that Syed Hamid denied everything and made it seem like were happy multiracial country. But come on, who was he kidding? That wasn't the tourism channel, he didn't have to fluff everything.
I admit i too got frustrated at everything he said. I was even yelling at the computer screen. I'm sure a lot of us was yelling too. I was surprised Sarah didn't attempt to strangle him, cos she sure hell looked like she was going to. Syed Hamid even asked her not to get so over emotional!
There were many things that bothered me during the interview. He said the bumiputera were given these extra rights because they weren't doing as well as the other races. The household income of the Chinese and Indian cultures were higher than the Malays. So it was like “helping the unfortunate.”(<---i quoted.) Sarah had asked why the top post of the ministry cabinets have only been Malay. What annoyed me was that Syed Hamid basically didn't answer the question. He skirted the issue by arguing with Sarah.
Upon being questioned that people of other races were angry about it, Syed Hamid replied that the Chinese and Indians are just talking about it, and that we aren't really angry about it. He also mentioned that were free to talk about it as we please. Yea I'm sure we are, thats why were all huddled in a Bahkutteh store, hiding from the ISA when we talk about it. What about laws that prevent us from publicizing anything to do with racial matter, or that we can't question the rights of the bumiputera. This is the LAW!
The issue of converting out of Islam was also mentioned in the interview. Sarah had given 2 examples of cases where 2 women wanted to convert out of Islam and was not allowed to. Syed Hamid totally denied everything, he claimed that 'people who wish to convert was free to do so'. I don't know which guai lou he was trying to convince, cos he sure hell didn't convince us. I don't know how he had the nerve to pull that stunt.
There was a part in the interview when our foreign minister said to Sarah that she wasn't Malaysian, she wouldn't understand. I understand what he meant by that, i do wish we had a Malaysian interviewer. But then again he might have been dragged off by the ISA.
This is the link to the interview. Please take the time to watch it, we all should.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/hardtalk/6992908.stm
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment